Monday, February 16, 2009

Broken Tibia


This is a picture of my buddy Rich and his girlfriend Christiana. They were good enough to come pick me up from the NSA Bahrain Medical facility and get me to the hospital since the Navy wasn't set up to do so...I am not sure I always understand why we have medical folks in the Navy when they don't really try very hard to do anything for us. Not only was there not an x-ray technician on duty, but they asked me if I would mind getting a ride to the hospital to get my x-rays done since their x-ray tech would have to walk 30-45 minutes from his house to do it on his day off. Wow...another big plus for staying on board with the military...then they would not give me a ride over to the hospital since it wasn't classified as URGENT?!?


The above picture is to compare my broken right tibia to the left prior to going into surgery. When I would lift my leg, my foot would move in a completely different direction and flop to either side...not a good sign I didn't think!


The doctors used two pins to fix my tibia and one screw to repair the ligament torn between the tibia and fibula. They will go in and remove the screw about four to six weeks from now when the ligament has had time to heal. I am not supposed to put any weight on my right leg for six weeks...I guess that means no marathon next Saturday! I am not really in much pain, but they have given me ample pain medication in the event that my condition changes. I am also on a round of antibiotics for a week. Once they cleaned my wound, they put me in a new cast which will be changed out in another two weeks.
The medical staff at the Bahraini Defense Force hospital was great. They didn't always fully understand what I was saying...and vice versa...but all in all, a very good experience. Much better, I think, than anything the Navy would have been able to do for me here. I am shocked that they are bringing dependants back to Bahrain when the medical staff clearly can't support the personnel that are already here, much less the wives and children that will be coming. I think they have really jumped the gun on this one.


A few more close-up photos to see the staples on the right and left side of the foot.

2 comments:

Podium quest said...

I can not believe what you wrote about the military Dr.'s & medical facility!

Unknown said...

Do you mind if I take this to BUMED and some of the head docs at NMPS Balboa Med Hospital? This is one complaint I hear over and over on a daily basis. We don't take care of our own.

Keep your spirits up Greg, you have alot of people behind you who love you