Saturday, August 9, 2008

Saturday Climbing - Five Sisters Again!

Ben emailed about a Saturday morning ride...Five Sisters again! I ordered a new cassette this week to correct my climbing defficiencies from last week. I ordered a new SRAM 11-28 casette, and I thought the gap between gears might be a little extreme in order to allow for such a wide range of gears, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that wasn't the case.

Ben actually called mid-week and mentioned 5-sisters, but since I didn't get my order until Friday afternoon in the mail, I didn't commit myself to anything (wasn't doing it again with an 11-23...just not strong enough...or skinny enough...HA!). I actually had to chase the mail man down on Friday since the box required signature confirmation, and I hadn't arrived home from work when he tried the house. Luckily, he was on the second-to-last mailbox in our housing edition when I saw him...whew!

We had the misfortune of hitting almost every red light along our ride today. It is very frustrating to get up to some really fast speeds and then stop abruptly at every light...we just blamed Craig for the stoplights since he was pulling down Kam Hwy...thanks a lot Craig!



Here we are at the top of Pacific Palisades...our first climb of the day! I actually was on top in second position behind Steve (a drastic improvement from last week).


Everyone stopped for a good rest at the top of Aiea Heights.
Ben is taking the picture, but our climbing gang this morning was comprised of (from left to right) Greg (me...Boots Wiggins), Dev, Steve, Brandon, and Craig.


Dev is cresting the top of the Camp Smith climb...what a great day of climbing. We opted not to stop at the little Filipino market at the bottom of the climb today, and my legs were thanking me for not resting prior to that climb.

No comments: