Sunday, August 3, 2008

Five Sisters Climb

I met up with Dev and Ben for day number two of training…this time it was 3+ hours of some serious climbing. It might have been better if I had thought ahead and changed my cassette over from the 23 I was running to a 27...glutton for punishment I guess. We did a series of climbs from Pearl Harbor to Aiea known as the five sisters:

  • Pacific Palisades
  • Royal Summit
  • Kaonohe
  • Aiea Heights Drive
  • Camp Smith

It was a pretty tough morning. I really didn’t want to finish the Camp Smith climb after we reached the state park at the top of Aiea Heights Drive (I was wimping out because of my 11-23 cassette and my legs were burning intensely), but Dev and Ben convinced me to continue on…I’m glad because Camp Smith was definitely the most tame of the five climbs. We stopped at a little corner market at the beginning of the climb and I had an AMP drink…probably helped more mentally then anything. Great ride topped off with a high-calorie McDonald’s breakfast on the way home prior to showering and departing for church.




Dev and I are posing at the top of Pacific Palisades...the first of five grueling climbs this Sunday morning.


On the way down from Royal Summit.



This is a shot from Dev's GPS unit detailing the amount of climbing we actually did today...I am still moving slow!

1 comment:

Podium quest said...

You live on an island. I know it's a mountanous island, but come on! More climbing there than here in the san De Cristo muntain!!!