Sunday, September 14, 2008

Newport is Beautiful..."Yank's Aren't Nice"

Newport is certainly a beautiful place (to visit), but I am quite certain I would not like living here for long. The people aren't very nice, and you guessed it, the roads in close proximity to the base aren't great for cycling. The picture below is taken from the Officer's Club at Newport Naval Base, and the bridge is the Claiborne Pell Bridge connecting Newport and Jamestown. There are usually lots of sailboats in Narragansett Bay in the evenings and on the weekends.



This is a shot of the marina across from the Officer's Club. The sailboats pictured are those used for the sailing classes given during the spring and summertime. I was signed up for the last class, but I decided to drop because of an opportunity to participate in a 100-mile bike ride in Connecticut on one of my weekends...turns out I didn't ride after all and could have sailed instead...oh well!


The U.S. Naval War College campus is pretty small, but it accomodates officers from all branches of the service (the largest percentage being from the Navy of course), DoD civilians, as well as other federal agencies (CIA, NCIS, etc.). It's a pretty nice place.

This building, Evans Hall, is where our MSOC classes are actually held each day. I will be here until 3 Oct and then it's back to Lubbock, TX, for some vacation prior to departing for Bahrain.


1 comment:

Podium quest said...

Man Boots. Very cool experiences & great pictures. Have they taught you how to
use ships to ram other ships yet? That's still a tactic used in the navy right?
Worked great for England in the 1600's. See? Who needs war school when you know
how to ram every one else's navy right out of the water! It would save a fortune
in ordnance.