Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Making Preparations to Move


Although I don't have orders to leave the island yet, I began making preparations this past weekend for the imminent move. As soon as BUPERS (Bureau of Personnel) cuts orders authorizing my travel and household goods move I'll be ready! I fully expect to have orders early next week, and then it should (hopefully) take no more than a week to get everything else in order to leave...unfortunately I can't make appointments ahead of time without those orders. Getting my road bike packed into the travel case and all my bike tools/stand disassembled was my biggest chore. I don't really have that much stuff here in Bahrain, so it won't be difficult to pack and move.

Our Navy Federal debit cards were compromised somehow the other day, and some fraudulent charges had posted to my checking account...AWESOME TIMING. I went to the Navy Fed branch on base today to get a new card issued since I cancelled our others. They will FedEx one to the branch location here, and I should have it early next week. By the way, I didn't have a Star Wars debit card...that is simply for Cody's benefit! The funny part about the trip to the base to get a new card was that I had to walk all the way on crutches because all my friends were at work and I couldn't get a cab to show up and give me a ride. It's really not that far from my building to the base...probably around 2 miles. A cab finally tried to give me a ride when I was about 1/4 mile from the front gate...if his english was any good he heard something like, "Thanks for nothing, pal!"

The foot is doing well, although it's still pretty uncomfortable when not elevated. I am sleeping in spurts, and probably only sleep all the way through the night two times a week. Once the cast comes off and some of the major initial healing is done, I'm sure that will change for the better! I am getting ready to start putting weight on it and getting all the muscles firing again...can't stand the down time. I went to the gym for the first time since the accident this past Sunday evening. I had to use the nautilus equipment since my balance is off due to not having both legs for stability. I worked upper body for while and then used a rowing machine for about half an hour. It was definitely nice to be back in the gym and working out a little. Unfortunately, it makes me want to dive off the deep end and go back every day. One of the major drawbacks to working out with this cast on is that I can't wash my leg, and it will probably start to stink inside the cast if I continue to work out...OH WELL...too bad for everyone else!

No comments: