Monday, October 13, 2008

Bike Trip - Santa Fe to Albuquerque

Amber and I went to Santa Fe with the kids this past weekend to see some of her family. Cody and I did a couple of rides around Santa Fe while I was up, and then we rode from Santa Fe to Albuquerque to meet up for dinner with the rest of Amber’s family. It was a really beautiful ride and the weather was wonderful during the ride.

I was surprised, however, by the unfriendly drivers and cyclists on the road…isn’t this supposed to be the “Land of Enchantment?” You couldn’t pay anyone to say hello to you.


This first picture was taken right outside of Santa Fe on Hwy 14 just as the sun was coming up during the first few miles of our ride. It was still pretty chilly when we began the ride...about 47 degrees.


Another shot of some scenery along Hwy 14 about 15 miles outside of Santa Fe.


This shot was taken in Cerillos, NM. Cerillos is a tiny little town where tourists abound in the summertime...apparently one of the first state capitals of NM. There is very little left of the town now.


This is Maggie's Diner in Madrid, NM. If you have ever see the movie "Wild Hogs," this was the town (and diner) where the movie was shot. This diner was erected specifically for the movie. I'm not sure if it is actually a functional diner anymore or not...I would put my money on "not."


Below are a couple of shots of Cody and I along the ride.


Cody is getting started up "heartbreak hill," which was the steepest climb of the day. It's not really a very long climb at all, but it's pretty steep up near the top.

1 comment:

Podium quest said...

Wow, sounds great. That Cody guy must be something else;)